Through these visuals I try to help my students understand, internalize the concepts and give them a visual scaffold to get the idea.
Activities involving the IB Profile are as many as your imagination can provides you.
Here you have some potential general activities:
- Let your students make their own posters based on the concept you are working on. [With this activity we help them develop their creativity and taking ownership of their own learning]
- Make your students find real-life examples that show the concept. [This activity helps them making connections]
- Make the students find the person in the class that best shows the concept with his/her behavior.
- Ask your students to think in a famous person that shows the concept with his/her behavior.
- Ask your students to think in the last book they read, considering how the characters in the book acted. Was someone in the book caring?
- Let your students find a quote related to the concept we are studying in class and draw a personal conclusion from it.
For your Spanish class:
- Break the concept down into ideas
- Give examples using patterns.
1. Break the concept down into ideas and have your ideas in different lines [to differentiate them visually] like this:
Ser solidario es:
- mostrar empatía
- mostrar sensibilidad
- mostrar respeto
- comprometerse personalmente a ayudar a los demás
- actuar con el propósito de influir positivamente en la vida de los demás
- actuar con el propósito de influir positivamente en el medio ambiente
2. Giving patterns to your students to give examples:
- [Nombre del estudiante] es solidario porque __[idea]________
- [Nombre del alumno] es una persona solidaria. Lo demuestra + [verbo en gerundio -ando - iendo] ___[idea]_____
Adding more ideas:
- [idea] y [idea]
- [idea] también [idea]
Ryan es solidario porque muestra empatía y actúa con el propósito de influir positivamente en el medio ambiente.
Don't forget to conjugate your verbs ;)